Skip to main content

T21 Tidbits :: What is hypotonia?

Have you ever heard the term hypotonia, or low muscle tone?  This may be one of the most common characteristics in individuals with Down syndrome.  And it took me a while to truly understand exactly what it is and how it affects Beau.  Simply put, low muscle tone is a lot like muscles that are very relaxed.  And if you have ever had the honor to hold a little one with an extra chromosome you are nodding your head because you know the experience was a little different than holding a neurotypical baby or toddler.  They just melt into you like a little rag doll and it will steal your heart right out of your chest.  They are more squishy and they are the best at snuggling.  It also helps them to be super flexible. Hypotonia does not only affect the Down syndrome community, but it is a common thread (or superpower) that people in the community share.  Scientifically speaking, muscle tone is regulated by signals that travel from the brain to the nerves and tell the muscles to contract (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke). 

One common misconception that many (including myself at one time) have is that muscle tone and muscle strength are related or even the same thing.  Nope. Apples and oranges.  Muscle tone has nothing to do with muscle strength, although it is possible for one to affect the other.

  Please come wrestle rock Beau to sleep at bedtime one night and you will see he lacks no stregnth.  😜

I found this great list of facts about hypotonia that really help explain the condition.

Just remember:

  • muscle tone and muscle strength are different things, but can overlap
  • every achievement (especially motor related) takes extra work and effort to achieve
  • there is no "cure" for hypotonia....no surgery or medication will "fix" it. A child does not outgrow it, but learns ways to cope and build strength and correct placement of body parts for optimal movement. This is why physical therapy is important!
  • Kids with hypotonia use extra effort for simple, everyday movements so be patient when they need a break and you cannot understand why.
  • There are over 600 conditions that can be associated with hypotonia...not just Down syndrome.
  • "Wait and see" is not a good approach to treatment. Seek therapy and services to address hypotonia as soon as the diagnosis is delivered.
  • Don't compare a child with hypotonia against "typical milestones" for motor development, but be prepared for these kids to surprise you!
Thanks for learning about hypotonia with me.  Our bodies are amazing works of art created by a God that embraced differences and cherished children.  I welcome any questions, thoughts, or feelings about hypotonia or Down syndrome in general.  Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

WHY:  Here we go again. Mahala is tapping into blogging once more.  Is this even still a thing? Jesus, be near. My first instinct was NO WAY...there is no time for this mess.  But then I realized if I spent as much time blogging as I do writing a blog in my head then why not?  Ever since Beau was born, we moved states (again), and I transitioned to staying home (again) I just cannot stop thinking about all these things I want to share with all these people that I love...and maybe even some people I don't know (yet).  Ya know?  So, that's the "why".  Next is the "HOW". HOW:  I wanted my first post to be sort of like a mission statement if you will.  I want you to know the things I plan to write about, share, discuss, and ask.  This way you can decide if my blog is something you want to spend your time reading.  Everyone has interests and everyone has limited time. Trust me... I understand about choosing to spend your time wisely...I understand because most

Elevators Are for Hugs...or at least Hellos

If you think God doesn't care about every small detail, think again. He SEES YOU; and sometimes we see him too if we slow down. Let me share a little story about something that happened this week.   I've been going to BSF (Bible study fellowship) since September. Beau is able to stay in the nursery thanks to the wonderful children's program they have.  I noticed in the first few weeks there was a beautiful baby girl close to his age that is also sporting an extra chromosome. Y'all, she is a doll baby. A head full of hair and the cutest pink glasses you ever saw. Anyway, I told the children's leader that I would love to connect with her mom sometime and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out.  Fast forward to this Wednesday. It was not my regular BSF day. I volunteered to keep the kids of BSF leaders so they could prepare for the lesson  on Thursday . Well, that sweet baby girl, Camilla, is there!  I'm so happy because now I get to love on her

Homeschool Review: August

We had a "soft" start to school several weeks ago...mid August...I don't even remember the exact date.  This post is a review of what we have been learning so far.  Keep in mind that I am not using a purchased curriculum.  Thanks to Pinterest, the world wide web, and our local library I have found some great resources that fit the needs for both kids.  I use a lot of resources from THIS BLOG  post as a guide to help me get started.   If/When we exhaust these free resources I will probably purchase a few things to keep things fun and challenging.  LANGUAGE ARTS :  We are using McGraw Hill Grade 2 practice book as well as spelling. I request the books that go along with each unit from our local library.   And we are about half way into Unit 1.  I have used this resource to focus on the following skills: Vocabulary :  ABC order, word families (-ell, -eat) Comprehension : character/setting,  story mapping, plot,  main idea/details Phonics : short a, short i, words