Skip to main content

T21 Tidbits :: Signs and Wonders

Happy October...or around my house it is Down syndrome Awareness Month.  This month I hope to bring you some things that I have learned along my parenting journey with Beau.  Educators, therapists, and healthcare providers tend to measure a child's developmental progress in 5 categories, or domains: 

1.  Language & Communication (communicate needs and wants)
2.  Cognitive (thinking, learning, perceiving)
3.  Physical  (gross motor skills and fine motor skills..handwriting, jumping, walking, running, dressing, feeding)
4.  Emotional (appropriate feelings...empathy, impulse control, self regulation, joy, resilience)
5.  Social (age appropriate interactions with peers..greetings, turn taking, relevant conversation)

Today let's talk Language Development and Communication, specifically the use of sign language in individuals with Down syndrome (especially babies, toddlers, and young children).  Beau is working on several commonly used signs right now such as "more", "drink", "play", "dog", etc.  

We DO NOT teach Beau to sign because we think he will not be able to speak.  In fact, it is quite the opposite.  

Research shows that children (any child) can benefit from learning signs early in life in order to communicate with others.  Here are a few research-based reasons why we choose to use sign language (along with lots of talking!) to encourage and enhance Beau's language development:
  • children with Down syndrome show an early advantage for signing and signs can significantly increase their communicative ability during an important developmental period
  • signing can help reduce frustration and challenging behavior
  • the use of signs can be phased out, or abandoned, as speech improves
  •  early interaction with manual signs, may have long-term benefits for the development of children with Down syndrome
  •  signing leads to more intelligible speech it may benefit communication even if the other person does not know any signs
In a nutshell and in my opinion which is not research-based but "real life special education teacher  and mom based"  sign language gives a person a voice.  We all have the right to a voice.  

"Although most children with Down syndrome learn to speak and will use speech as their primary means of communication, they will understand language and have the desire to communicate well before they are able to speak. Total communication, using sign language, pictures, and/or electronic synthesized speech can serve as a transitional communication system." (NDSS)

Here are a few articles I referenced:


Also we have two main ways that we like to learn right now:
Signing Time (on youtube)

Please let me know if you have any questions and we can learn together! I also love comments with resources, tools, or strategies  In the next blog we will explore a different developmental domain....physical!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

WHY:  Here we go again. Mahala is tapping into blogging once more.  Is this even still a thing? Jesus, be near. My first instinct was NO WAY...there is no time for this mess.  But then I realized if I spent as much time blogging as I do writing a blog in my head then why not?  Ever since Beau was born, we moved states (again), and I transitioned to staying home (again) I just cannot stop thinking about all these things I want to share with all these people that I love...and maybe even some people I don't know (yet).  Ya know?  So, that's the "why".  Next is the "HOW". HOW:  I wanted my first post to be sort of like a mission statement if you will.  I want you to know the things I plan to write about, share, discuss, and ask.  This way you can decide if my blog is something you want to spend your time reading.  Everyone has interests and everyone has limited time. Trust me... I understand about choosing to spend your time wisely...I understand because most

Elevators Are for Hugs...or at least Hellos

If you think God doesn't care about every small detail, think again. He SEES YOU; and sometimes we see him too if we slow down. Let me share a little story about something that happened this week.   I've been going to BSF (Bible study fellowship) since September. Beau is able to stay in the nursery thanks to the wonderful children's program they have.  I noticed in the first few weeks there was a beautiful baby girl close to his age that is also sporting an extra chromosome. Y'all, she is a doll baby. A head full of hair and the cutest pink glasses you ever saw. Anyway, I told the children's leader that I would love to connect with her mom sometime and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out.  Fast forward to this Wednesday. It was not my regular BSF day. I volunteered to keep the kids of BSF leaders so they could prepare for the lesson  on Thursday . Well, that sweet baby girl, Camilla, is there!  I'm so happy because now I get to love on her

Homeschool Review: August

We had a "soft" start to school several weeks ago...mid August...I don't even remember the exact date.  This post is a review of what we have been learning so far.  Keep in mind that I am not using a purchased curriculum.  Thanks to Pinterest, the world wide web, and our local library I have found some great resources that fit the needs for both kids.  I use a lot of resources from THIS BLOG  post as a guide to help me get started.   If/When we exhaust these free resources I will probably purchase a few things to keep things fun and challenging.  LANGUAGE ARTS :  We are using McGraw Hill Grade 2 practice book as well as spelling. I request the books that go along with each unit from our local library.   And we are about half way into Unit 1.  I have used this resource to focus on the following skills: Vocabulary :  ABC order, word families (-ell, -eat) Comprehension : character/setting,  story mapping, plot,  main idea/details Phonics : short a, short i, words