Skip to main content

2018 book reflection

I started the year with a hefty goal to read fifty books in 2018.  I have never tracked my reading before so I had no idea how attainable this goal would be.  I did not meet the goal, but I believe I was definitely encouraged to read more knowing that I was working toward a goal.  I read 30 books in 2018!!  Below is a list of those books in no particular order.  You can see a star beside my top 10 favorites.


  1. The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas  ⭐
  2. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
  3. Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakeable Peace by Sarah Mackenzie
  4. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens ⭐
  5. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
  6. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
  7. Break the Line by Allison Mullinax 
  8. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
  9. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom ⭐
  10. How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough
  11. The Lucky Few: Finding God's Best in the Most Unlikely Places by Heather Avis
  12. Lucky Us by Amy Bloom
  13. And When She was Good by Laura Lippman
  14. Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believeing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
  15. White Houses by Amy Bloom ⭐
  16. The American Marriage by Tayari Jones
  17. Educated by Tara Westover ⭐
  18. That Kind of Mother by Rumaan Alam
  19. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  by John Berendt
  20. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah ⭐
  21. The Parent's Guide to Down Syndrome: Advice, Information, Inspiration, and Support for Raising Your Child from Diagnosis through Adulthood by Jen Jacob, Mardra Sikora
  22. What We Lose by Zinzi Clemmons
  23. I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel
  24. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
  25. American Housewife by Helen Ellis ⭐
  26. There There by Tommy Orange
  27. The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller
  28. The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir Ruth Wariner ⭐
  29. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman ⭐
  30. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah  
Several things I learned about my reading life this year:
  • I need to read more nonfiction.
  • I love a good WWII/Holocaust novel.
  • I enjoy memoirs.
  • Kristin Hannah is my new BFF favorite author.
  • I should keep a book journal.  SHOULD.  
What helped me boost my reading life?
  • PODCASTS:   1.  "What Should I Read Next?" and end up with new TBR books on my list every episode.  The host is Anne Bogel and she is delightful.  She is also fun to follow on Instagram (annebogel and whatshouldireadnext).  2. "From the Front Porch"  Annie is a young bookstore owner (The Bookshelf) located in south Georgia.  Her podcast centers around conversations on books, small business, and life in the South.  She is also a fun follow (anniebjones and bookshelftville).
  • GOODREADS: This is where I set my reading goal and kept track of my progress.  I like that I can add books I "want to read".  Goodreads also keeps track of days you begin and finish a book.  I have the app on my phone for easy access.
  • PUBLIC LIBRARY: If you have not discovered the beauty of the public library request/hold system please drop everything and do that today.  If you need help finding how to request materials from your local system I will be happy to help you!
Happy New Year & Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

WHY:  Here we go again. Mahala is tapping into blogging once more.  Is this even still a thing? Jesus, be near. My first instinct was NO WAY...there is no time for this mess.  But then I realized if I spent as much time blogging as I do writing a blog in my head then why not?  Ever since Beau was born, we moved states (again), and I transitioned to staying home (again) I just cannot stop thinking about all these things I want to share with all these people that I love...and maybe even some people I don't know (yet).  Ya know?  So, that's the "why".  Next is the "HOW". HOW:  I wanted my first post to be sort of like a mission statement if you will.  I want you to know the things I plan to write about, share, discuss, and ask.  This way you can decide if my blog is something you want to spend your time reading.  Everyone has interests and everyone has limited time. Trust me... I understand about choosing to spend your time wisely...I understand because most

Elevators Are for Hugs...or at least Hellos

If you think God doesn't care about every small detail, think again. He SEES YOU; and sometimes we see him too if we slow down. Let me share a little story about something that happened this week.   I've been going to BSF (Bible study fellowship) since September. Beau is able to stay in the nursery thanks to the wonderful children's program they have.  I noticed in the first few weeks there was a beautiful baby girl close to his age that is also sporting an extra chromosome. Y'all, she is a doll baby. A head full of hair and the cutest pink glasses you ever saw. Anyway, I told the children's leader that I would love to connect with her mom sometime and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out.  Fast forward to this Wednesday. It was not my regular BSF day. I volunteered to keep the kids of BSF leaders so they could prepare for the lesson  on Thursday . Well, that sweet baby girl, Camilla, is there!  I'm so happy because now I get to love on her

Homeschool Review: August

We had a "soft" start to school several weeks ago...mid August...I don't even remember the exact date.  This post is a review of what we have been learning so far.  Keep in mind that I am not using a purchased curriculum.  Thanks to Pinterest, the world wide web, and our local library I have found some great resources that fit the needs for both kids.  I use a lot of resources from THIS BLOG  post as a guide to help me get started.   If/When we exhaust these free resources I will probably purchase a few things to keep things fun and challenging.  LANGUAGE ARTS :  We are using McGraw Hill Grade 2 practice book as well as spelling. I request the books that go along with each unit from our local library.   And we are about half way into Unit 1.  I have used this resource to focus on the following skills: Vocabulary :  ABC order, word families (-ell, -eat) Comprehension : character/setting,  story mapping, plot,  main idea/details Phonics : short a, short i, words