Skip to main content

summer reading

What are you reading this summer?  I would love to know.  I wanted put out a quick post to share my summer reading list.  I only have 3 books on the list, and I will be lucky to get those three finished.

 I should also add that I have all 3 books on hold at the library and I am like number 47 on the wait list for each one, so I feel like I have picked good ones!

1.  Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
This memoir details the life of a child raised by religious, overprotective, isolated parents.  Her first exposure to public education was at age 17.  Up until then she was"homeschooled" (but not really).  She describes the grit and determination she possessed to amizingly earn her PhD from Cambridge University.  I have a feeling this book will leave me saying...."I can't even imagine"
Click here for the direct link in Amazon.








2.  That Kind of Mother by Rumaan Alam
This novel begins with a first-time, overwhelmed mama Rebecca.  Rebecca has a beloved nanny, Priscilla, who happens to be of a different race.  Priscilla dies in childbirth and Rebecca makes the decision to adopt the baby. This novel touches on all.the.things that give me all.the.feels right now such as motherhood and white privilege.  This part of Amazon's description is what got me hook, line, and sinker because I can relate so much.  "....navigating motherhood for her is a matter of learning how to raise two children whom she loves with equal ferocity, but whom the world is determined to treat differently."  

Click here for the direct link on Amazon





3.  Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
This is not a book I would normally be drawn to and I know you can't judge a book by its cover.  BUT LOOK AT THAT COVER PEOPLE!  The genre is YA.  Also, the book description on amazon contains words like "magic" and "danger".  oooo-OOOOO-ooooo.  And guess what? This is book 1 of 2.  I love a good book series.

Click here for the direct link on Amazon.








Please leave comments with your summer reading plans.  Also if you read one of these before I do let me know what you think!

 Happy Reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

WHY:  Here we go again. Mahala is tapping into blogging once more.  Is this even still a thing? Jesus, be near. My first instinct was NO WAY...there is no time for this mess.  But then I realized if I spent as much time blogging as I do writing a blog in my head then why not?  Ever since Beau was born, we moved states (again), and I transitioned to staying home (again) I just cannot stop thinking about all these things I want to share with all these people that I love...and maybe even some people I don't know (yet).  Ya know?  So, that's the "why".  Next is the "HOW". HOW:  I wanted my first post to be sort of like a mission statement if you will.  I want you to know the things I plan to write about, share, discuss, and ask.  This way you can decide if my blog is something you want to spend your time reading.  Everyone has interests and everyone has limited time. Trust me... I understand about choosing to spend your time wisely...I understand because most

Elevators Are for Hugs...or at least Hellos

If you think God doesn't care about every small detail, think again. He SEES YOU; and sometimes we see him too if we slow down. Let me share a little story about something that happened this week.   I've been going to BSF (Bible study fellowship) since September. Beau is able to stay in the nursery thanks to the wonderful children's program they have.  I noticed in the first few weeks there was a beautiful baby girl close to his age that is also sporting an extra chromosome. Y'all, she is a doll baby. A head full of hair and the cutest pink glasses you ever saw. Anyway, I told the children's leader that I would love to connect with her mom sometime and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out.  Fast forward to this Wednesday. It was not my regular BSF day. I volunteered to keep the kids of BSF leaders so they could prepare for the lesson  on Thursday . Well, that sweet baby girl, Camilla, is there!  I'm so happy because now I get to love on her

Homeschool Review: August

We had a "soft" start to school several weeks ago...mid August...I don't even remember the exact date.  This post is a review of what we have been learning so far.  Keep in mind that I am not using a purchased curriculum.  Thanks to Pinterest, the world wide web, and our local library I have found some great resources that fit the needs for both kids.  I use a lot of resources from THIS BLOG  post as a guide to help me get started.   If/When we exhaust these free resources I will probably purchase a few things to keep things fun and challenging.  LANGUAGE ARTS :  We are using McGraw Hill Grade 2 practice book as well as spelling. I request the books that go along with each unit from our local library.   And we are about half way into Unit 1.  I have used this resource to focus on the following skills: Vocabulary :  ABC order, word families (-ell, -eat) Comprehension : character/setting,  story mapping, plot,  main idea/details Phonics : short a, short i, words