Skip to main content

Elevators Are for Hugs...or at least Hellos

If you think God doesn't care about every small detail, think again. He SEES YOU; and sometimes we see him too if we slow down. Let me share a little story about something that happened this week. 

 I've been going to BSF (Bible study fellowship) since September. Beau is able to stay in the nursery thanks to the wonderful children's program they have.  I noticed in the first few weeks there was a beautiful baby girl close to his age that is also sporting an extra chromosome. Y'all, she is a doll baby. A head full of hair and the cutest pink glasses you ever saw. Anyway, I told the children's leader that I would love to connect with her mom sometime and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out. 

Fast forward to this Wednesday. It was not my regular BSF day. I volunteered to keep the kids of BSF leaders so they could prepare for the lesson on Thursday. Well, that sweet baby girl, Camilla, is there!  I'm so happy because now I get to love on her! And then hopefully meet her mom before I leave. 

At the end of the meeting her "mom" comes to pick her up and I introduce myself. Come to find out this lady is not Camilla's mom at all but her caregiver/nanny. I have to admit I was a little disappointed. She tells me that Camilla's mom, Sylvia, would love for me to text or call her. I get Sylvia's number and later on send a brief text to introduce myself. Sylvia replies and we agree to meet up soon, but no solid plans were nailed down. I make a mental note to do that later in the week. 


Fast forward and change the subject. 
A while back I signed the twins up to attend Sib Shop at the hospital nearby Wednesday night...Sib Shop is a workshop for siblings of children with disabilities. Our OT told me about how wonderful it is and my kids were excited to attend. On the way to Sib Shop we were stuck in nasty 5pm traffic. Have I mentioned the terrible traffic here in the suburbs of Baltimore?? Heather Land needs to make an "I ain't doin' it" video about this traffic. Anyway, the traffic was horrendous, but it opened up a family conversation about how big the world is and how many people we will never meet in our lifetime. All these cars full of all kinds of people going all kinds of places. And always in a rush. It really makes you feel so small. 

We FINALLY made it to our destination. We are rushing (running late as usual) and hop on the elevator headed for the 7th floor. We are on the elevator with a lady and her son who looks to be about the same age as the twins. We make conversation and he is also attending the sib shop. I ask his name..it's Dominic. I introduce Luke, Della Rose, and Beau. For a second the mom looks confused and before she can even say it I know. I know exactly who she is. This is Sylvia. This is Camilla's mom!!!!! We instantly wrap our arms around one another in that loving "me too" hug that you can only understand if you've ever shared one. We are both in disbelief that a few hours ago we were texting one another as complete strangers and now we are on this elevator together. We get our big kids settled and then chat for a bit. 
We have plans to meet up next week to do coffee and mom talk. I could not be more excited. 

I share this because I think it was God's way of saying, "I see you Mahala. I'm still here holding you in my hands and under my wing. I know you feel so small in this big new place so far away from YOUR people, but MY people are everywhere. I know you are on a journey you did not plan for, but let me continue to show you it was meant FOR YOU. I have plans to proposer you, plans to give you hope." And I am no one special that He would show up just for me. I know He wants to do this for ALL His people. There is nothing special about me or my life that would warrant any special treatment or some divine coincidence. It is just God doing just what He does all over the world every day.  If you find yourself sharing an elevator with a stranger today, make sure to say hello to them. 

Comments

  1. Wonderful analysis of how our God cares for and loves ALL His children. Great story of how He works in our lives. God Bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this...just beautiful! God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

WHY:  Here we go again. Mahala is tapping into blogging once more.  Is this even still a thing? Jesus, be near. My first instinct was NO WAY...there is no time for this mess.  But then I realized if I spent as much time blogging as I do writing a blog in my head then why not?  Ever since Beau was born, we moved states (again), and I transitioned to staying home (again) I just cannot stop thinking about all these things I want to share with all these people that I love...and maybe even some people I don't know (yet).  Ya know?  So, that's the "why".  Next is the "HOW". HOW:  I wanted my first post to be sort of like a mission statement if you will.  I want you to know the things I plan to write about, share, discuss, and ask.  This way you can decide if my blog is something you want to spend your time reading.  Everyone has interests and everyone has limited time. Trust me... I understand about choosing to spend your time wisely...I understand because most

Homeschool Review: August

We had a "soft" start to school several weeks ago...mid August...I don't even remember the exact date.  This post is a review of what we have been learning so far.  Keep in mind that I am not using a purchased curriculum.  Thanks to Pinterest, the world wide web, and our local library I have found some great resources that fit the needs for both kids.  I use a lot of resources from THIS BLOG  post as a guide to help me get started.   If/When we exhaust these free resources I will probably purchase a few things to keep things fun and challenging.  LANGUAGE ARTS :  We are using McGraw Hill Grade 2 practice book as well as spelling. I request the books that go along with each unit from our local library.   And we are about half way into Unit 1.  I have used this resource to focus on the following skills: Vocabulary :  ABC order, word families (-ell, -eat) Comprehension : character/setting,  story mapping, plot,  main idea/details Phonics : short a, short i, words